There is no free will.

There is no free will. I'll get that out of the way first of all, because it's a fact that I'll explain as we go on. I will, of course, be looking for any kind of evidence or great hypothesis as to why I'm wrong, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no free will at all. I, and everyone else, am a product of the universe which wasn't of my making. I didn't make "me", and who I am now is entirely a product of what I've learned, misunderstood, believed, still believe, fail to grasp, doubt, wish was and wasn't so, and had to happen.

Cause and effect are the King and Queen of reality, and I, and my mind and body and entire life, are all subject to the same: what happens causes something else to happen. All phenomena, all events, all moments in spacetime are the product of previous moments, and those previous moments are the products of moments before them. And all those moments can be traced back to the very first moment: the big bang.

Life and time and self are all illusions. We come into being, and we're conscious, but what we are is the product of something before. Every one of us is little more than an animal or tree or rock or sound or idea or breeze. We are each of us just a system, in some degree or other: a pattern of energy that has fallen into being thanks to something that preceded it.

These imperfect words are the product of "my" being. They are what has come out of the "me" that is here now, believing what I believe, having eaten and drunk what I've drunk today, and of the books I've read, people I've met, friends I've known, enemies I've made, and all the experiences I've had in my life that have led up to this very moment.

These words may turn out to be meaningless. But right now, they make absolute sense to me. I sincerely believe that all of these words have been inevitable. All are the product of the coming together of events in my life and those of the rest of the universe, to be written here like this, now, in exactly the way they're being written.

Everything we see is an inevitability. There are no mistakes. There is only now, and this, and the absolute coming together of reality in the moment: for every single person and animal and plant and insect and breeze and drop of water.

We are puppets on a vast, eternal stage of inevitability.

Comments